This is true bush camping – but toilets are provided at Checkpoint 3 and at the Mellish (Wipeout Bend) camping area. Please read the Environment Section. If you camp elsewhere, camp shower and bush toilet are essential. Come self-contained with all camping and cooking equipment and provisions. Camping is permitted at all checkpoints with the exception of Checkpoint 4, camping is also permitted at Mellish Park and at the start. Camping is not permitted downstream of the Pub. Generally, the further from the Pub the quieter it gets.
Race Fact #7
The race has been cancelled Twice – in 2006 and 2011 due to flood waters. In 1986 , due to torrential rain the race was delayed until the following day and was reduced to 17 kilometres.
From the Pub to all camping sites is dirt road. Most are suitable to conventional vehicle with care, but seek advice first.
The Gregory Hotel sells alcohol and fuel, also some meals are provided.
You will notice that the Burke Shire Council has supplied rubbish bins at each checkpoint and also a disposal point at the top of the banks above flood level. Please make sure that large “tough” type garbage bags are used to ensure that contents stay in the bag. Alternatively, you can take your rubbish home with you.
SPARES AND ASSISTANCE
Please remember you are at least 300 km from a major centre. The carrying of two spare tyres and basic tool kits are advisable and you will have to rely on fellow campers for mechanical assistance.
The water in the river can be used, however with the number of visitors to the area for the weekend it is advisable to bring drinking water or fluoride tablets to treat the water.
With so many visitors converging on one small area for the weekend please take time to consider the surroundings and the environment as a high priority. Remember that there are people who depend on the river for their livelihood and their drinking water. It is the responsibility of each and every one of us to leave the river in the same condition as we found it so that it can be enjoyed for many years to come. Thus can be achieved by following a few simple rules.
- Please take water from the river for cleaning purposes. DO NOT CLEAN IN THE RIVER.
- No litter to be left in the river bed. Please put it in strong garbage bags for council collection
- Everyone enjoys a swim in the river, but please do not use soap, shampoo or toothpaste in the river as it is a definite polluter. Take the water from the river and wash away from the river.
- Toilets – please dig a pit toilet out of the river bed for your camping party. Camping toilets (a seat on legs) are cheap and easy to stow so please consider.
- Toilets are also available at Mellish camping area and the finish line. Public toilets are also found opposite the Gregory Hotel. Please note the Hotel toilets are for hotel patrons.
It is recommended that all camping and cooking equipment and most supplies are brought with you.